What To Do After The Police Are Called For An Okaloosa County Domestic Violence Case

Man hands on forehead

The argument or spat you and your significant other got out of hand. Or, you and your relative that lives with you got into a heated argument. The other person called the police and now the police are at your door, demanding to come inside to speak with you and the other person. You may have seen or heard how these situations can end: with you being cuffed and led away to a squad car to be taken to jail. You are probably scared: what will happen to your job, your family, or your standing in the community? The other person who called the police may be regretting his or her choice to do so and pleading with the police not to take you away.

If you find yourself in this unfortunate situation, it helps to have a “game plan” of what to do. While you may not be able to avoid an arrest for a domestic violence charge, you can increase the likelihood that you will have a favorable outcome in your case down the road.

What You Should Do When the Police Are At Your Door

Some individuals panic when they hear the loud knock of a police officer at their door. They think that if they do not answer the door that perhaps the police will go away on their own. Or they think that if they hide from the police that law enforcement will not bother to search for them inside the house. Both of these are false beliefs and can land you in even deeper trouble. In most domestic violence cases, police that are called to your house by the other person in the dispute or a neighbor who overheard the commotion with have legal grounds to enter your house and make sure everyone is safe. (If for some reason they do not, your Fort Walton Beach criminal defense attorney can handle this in an appropriate matter at a later time in your case). Hiding from the police or refusing to answer the door for police may lead to charges of interfering or obstructing police and can be used at trial to suggest that you were guilty of committing an offense.

Should I Talk With Police?

It is common to wonder whether talking with police at the scene is a good idea. On the one hand, it is your opportunity to tell Okaloosa County law enforcement your side of the story. On the other hand, individuals suspected of committing a Florida domestic violence offense have often “sealed their fate” by unintentionally admitting to committing a domestic violence crime. If you do choose to speak with police at this time, remain calm and do not become irate or blame the other person. Truthfully tell the police about the disagreement but be cautious about admitting to screaming at the other person, hitting him or her, or committing any other act of violence or abuse toward the other person. When in doubt, you can always refuse to answer police questions at that time and wait until you have a Fort Walton Beach domestic violence¬†attorney present to help and advise you.

The One Thing You Must Do After the Police are Called

If the police have been called to your home for a domestic violence report, you should contact Fort Walton Beach criminal defense attorney Stephen G. Cobb as soon as possible. Even if you are not arrested at the scene, you may still have domestic violence charges filed against you at a later date. The sooner Florida Criminal Trial Law Specialist Stephen G. Cobb becomes involved in your case, the better he is able to assist you in resolving your charges and helping you get your life back on track. Contact his law office at (850) 669-5882 today to obtain his experienced and knowledgeable advice.

The Cobb Criminal Defense Law Firm
1992 Lewis Turner Blvd, Suite 101-B
Fort Walton Beach, FL 32547
Phone: (850) 669-5882

For more information, please visit:

Related Posts
  • False Domestic Violence Charge Awareness Month 2022 Read More
  • Is It Advisable To Seek Pre-Trial Counseling In A Domestic Violence Case? Read More
  • Does There Have To Be Substantial Injury In Order For Domestic Violence Charges To Be Made? Read More